We did it! After a high-speed rehearsal period and much assembling of vibraphones and water-filled laundry tubs, we performed the full-length score for the first time on Monday, to an appreciative and hardy audience at the Greenbelt Festival. Despite incredibly unpleasant weather conditions, around 200 people put up with the cold and rain to hear us.
Here we are rehearsing in Weekley Village Hall on Monday afternoon, and the view from backstage as we are just about to begin.
We’ve been very busy making changes and planning the next stage of the project. We’ve renamed the piece The Observatory, and are looking for funding and development opportunities.
Sarah has completed the first redraft of the new libretto, and we hope to have some workshop time over the summer to look at how to to incorporate feedback from last year, get the text and sign-language to do exciting things together, and how technology can help us both creatively and practically.
Well, we did it, and we think it worked.. Despite some technical hitches with our vibration installations during the first performance, we had an overwhelmingly positive response, so thanks everyone who came, saw, heard and felt.
Have a look at our Tête à Tête: The Opera Festival page for the Radio 3 interview, link to the Gramophone magazine article and a video of our first performance.